Why is MAS now a non-profit?
MAS has always existed for one purpose only: to provide acupuncture to as many people as possible while supporting sustainable jobs for its workers.
In other words, MAS has been provided for by staff and patients.
The decision to change the legal structure of the business from a for-profit to a non-profit was based on several different factors. As it turns out, all of them in the interest of providing MAS an opportunity to continue to do its work for decades to come, while not relying on a particular person or persons to make this possible, legally speaking.
The goal of the organization has been to serve the public by providing acupuncture services and not endeavoring to amass an excess of money. MAS blossomed as a for-profit social businesses. Over the past few years, it's become clear this social business will be better served in the long run if recognized as a 501(c)3 non-profit by the IRS. This allows for the varied expertise and capital of many parties to continue to push MAS forward in its mission.
Simply put, MAS has grown too big to rest on one owner's shoulders.
It now rightfully belongs to all of us – patients, staff and the public in general.
So let's make a few things clear. Here is what won't be changing:
- The sliding-scale. $15-$35. The basic math stays the same – we charge as little as we can, haven't raised prices in 10+ years, and have no plans to do so.
- The Staff, front desk and acu-punks. We will all continue to be here, happy to be working!
- The overarching mission of MAS: ongoing work to expand availability of acupuncture in Manchester & Nashua-area communities by increasing clinic hours and bringing on additional qualified, passionate acupuncturists.
- Membership and affiliation with POCA (The People's Organization of Community Acupuncture)
Here's what will be changing:
- MAS is now overseen by a terrific, thoughtful and wonderful Board of Directors, made up of MAS patients and staff.
- Former owner Andy Wegman now works as the Executive Director, continuing to manage day-to-day operations as well as continuing with full-time acupuncture at MAS.
- We can now accept donations in cash or kind, that are entirely tax-deductable. Donations are welcome throughout the year. On the donation front, you will see and hear much more about our upcoming efforts to secure a permanent home under our control, for MAS Manchester - and with your help!
- We can begin endeavoring to pursue outside funding for the purpose of opening up the availability of acupuncture to people who wouldn't otherwise have the chance to use it. An example of this is our recent partnership with the VA in Manchester.
On behalf of the entire MAS Staff & Board of Directors, Thank You for your trust in us and thank you for your business. We look forward to being here with you for a long, long time to come.
Andy Wegman, Executive Director @ MAS
Posted in Acupuncture Blog